Let’s face it — cats have a bit of a bad reputation. Our favorite feline companions are often labeled “aloof” or “arrogant” and sometimes even “feral.” Own too many of them and all of a sudden you’re the “crazy cat lady” and someone calls Animal Control. Seems unfair. After all, nobody has ever heard of a “crazy dog lady” now have they? Are you single and own a cat? Wow, people probably send you to singles mixers to get you “out of the house and meeting humans.”
But what if you want to stay home and snuggle with your cat instead? Well, then you’re good company. According to the Human Society (U.S.), over 33% of U.S. households have a cat and over half of those have at least two cats. Though, how many of those have reached “crazy cat lady” numbers is not recorded.
If you’re still not convinced that you’re a 100% cat obsessive, then read on as here are ten ways to know you are a true cat owner and lover (that is if the cat sitting on your sofa right now isn’t clue enough):
- You sleep without your pillow most of the time because that’s where the cat likes to sleep…and this doesn’t bother you at all. In fact, you sometimes leave your electric blanket on during the day because the cat likes it.
- Your cat prefers to drink water directly from the tap and you stand there and turn the tap on and off on demand. You think this is perfectly reasonable.
- You understand that some people like dogs, but can’t understand why they didn’t just get a cat — less drool.
- If your cat doesn’t like your date, then neither do you. It’s ok though, because now you can stay home and watch TV with the cat. Bliss.
- Cat hair? Is there cat hair everywhere? Yes, and you’re so used to it that you don’t even notice. Not even when it’s on your breakfast cereal in the morning. More roughage is good for you anyway.
- Alarm clocks are a thing of the past. Kitty eats at 5am. Every morning. Even Sunday.
- You understand the order of the household — cat, then everybody else. So does the cat and that’s the way he likes it.
- Trying to work? Read a paper? Read an email? Not without feline company you’re not! Like a moth to a flame, a cat will find a busy lap and make it impossible to continue.
- You finally found a brand of wet food that your cat loves so you went to the grocery store and bought a whole case, lest little kitty go hungry. Now he doesn’t like it anymore. At all. It’s like you’re trying to poison him with the swill you are serving.
- You had your cat spayed or neutered. You understand its importance and you tell anyone else who will listen.
How about you? Are you a true cat lover? Share what makes you a feline fan in the comments section below!
Who is Holly Lewitas?
Holly Lewitas is the author of the Spunky Murder Mystery Series — cozy mysteries for dog and cat lovers. Books include: The Nose Knows, The Nose Sees All and An Army of Noses. You are invited to connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest.
Tags: cat facts, cat fans, cat lover blog, cat lover book, cat lover books, cat lover gifts, cat lover website, cat lover's mysteries, cat lovers, cat lovers blog, cat owners, cat vs. dog, cats are better than dogs, gifts for cat lovers, i love cats, i love my cat, mystery cat lovers